WHAT IS A FOUNDATION PRIMER?
It is a base coat which is applied beneath the foundations. It is a relatively newer concept and has gained incredible popularity in the past few years due to it immense benefits -
1) Extends longevity of makeup
1) Extends longevity of makeup
The facial pores consume foundation when they breathe. Primer creates a barrier between foundation and skin, disallowing pores to absorb any foundation. It also prevents the foundation from melting down in hot weather.
2) Gives a porcelain finish and increases coverage
Primers give a more flawless finish by reducing the look of pores and fine lines and any other skin imperfections. The end result is much softer and smoothened skin.
3)Balances out skin's moisture content and oil levels
Some primers are meant to combat oil or provide moisture depending on your skin type.Hence, it prevents the makeup from looking chalky or sweaty.
4) Evens out skin tone
It helps to camouflage skin pigmentations and discolorations such as someone with redness on the face might be advised to use a green color primer to neutralize the redness .See the picture below for an example.
5)Helps you achieve the kind of finish you desire
Some primers are also meant to help us achieve the kind of finish we want -matte , dewy or luminizing . See the picture below for an example.
- is oil free and gives a matte finish
- combats oil
- conceal my pores
- gives a good coverage
- evens out my redness
If you are convinced enough to buy a primer then go below to see the list of some of the best primers and read reviews on some of my absolute favorites.
SMASHBOX PHOTOFINISH FOUNDATION PRIMER
This is no. 1 in the list for me. Well, it is apparently the best rated primer at Sephora
- It is a silicone based primers which gives all that my skin needs.After applying it, my skin feels soft and the foundation just glides on so easily. The visibility of pores reduces and my skin remains oil free.
- It is claimed to have antioxidants and vitamins and helps inhibit destruction of collagen.
- They have the same primer in color correcting range as well. Those ones are meant to conceal any discolorations on that face.
- Its quite pricey at $36 but goes a long way.
BARE ESCENTUALS BARE VITAMIN PRIME TIME FOUNDATION PRIMER
- This is another awesome silicone based primer. It works as good as Smashbox Photo Finish if not better.
- It is claimed to have soothing plant extracts ,antioxidants and vitamin C and E for added age-defying power.
- At $22 , it sells at quite a discount to Smashbox Photofinish Primer
BENEFIT COSMETIC THE PORE-FESSIONAL
This one no. 3 in my list. It is not a face primer but a balm to conceal the appearance of pores.I just apply this product on my cheekarea, forehead and nose and my skin looks kind of airbrushed.
- I like it but not as much as the two above,since for me they are better at concealing the pores and extending the longevity of foundations.
- I would still use it because it is nevertheless a good product and does what it claims to do.
- At $29, I would rather buy The BareVitamins Primetime instead.
LAURA MERCIER FOUNDATION PRIMER
It is apparently another very popular primer in the market . It claims to be a favorite of many makeup artists.
- I somehow don't love it as much. I can happily live without this product. It has texture just like a moisturizer and so I use it as one and then pat on the silicone based primer on my open pores.
- It keeps my oil under control but relying solely on this does not give me a smooth , velvety finish.
I got it as a sample from Sephora and I am glad I didn't have to pay for it.
CLINIQUE PORE MINIMIZER
This one is not a primer but a pore minimizing serum. I bought this because applying it twice a day reduce the visibility of pores permanently. So this sounds like a more permanent solution and the rest are just temporary ones. I have been irregular in using it so would review it once after I have diligently used it for a few weeks.
SOME OTHER POPULAR PRIMERS ARE: